Don’t besmirch Taking Back Sunday

Ryan Flamerich made several salient and valid points in his recent column about the lack of quality entertainment on campus. As a former denizen of a large city, I often sit at home in my apartment mewing softly to myself over the lack of stellar offerings on campus and in or around Tuscaloosa. So, it should be known that I agree with Mr. Flamerich… to a point.

What I cannot stomach, however, is Mr. Flamerich’s unnecessary besmirching of those fine troubadours: Taking Back Sunday. I literally grabbed my chest when Mr. Flamerich denigrated the band by comparing them to the Goo Goo Dolls and Owl City.

How dare you, Mr. Flamerich.

While it’s hard to deny the infectious grooves of Owl City and the hair of the Goo Goo Dolls, one has to wonder where Mr. Flamerich’s animosity has spawned. All these many years, my grandpappy Houser and I used to sit and listen to Taking Back Sunday’s album Louder Now.

He would rock me on my knee to the sugary chords of “My Blue Heaven” and we would often talk about the day’s events with Taking Back Sunday in the background.

I ask Mr. Flamerich, have you no grandpappy Houser?

Additionally, I’d like to point out that Kansas, of “Carry on My Wayward Son” and “Dust in the Wind” fame, recently played in the area. While I’m not sure if University Programs was involved with this stellar show, can Mr. Flamerich really deny the awesome of Kansas? I think not.

Greg Houser is a first-year MFA Candidate in English.