Women’s Club seeks scholarship applicants

The University Women’s Club is currently accepting applications for the Isabella Hummel Graham scholarship.

Carol Hoffman, chair of the scholarship committee for the University Women’s Club, spoke on the type of students the committee is interested in assisting.

“We are very interested in those who are strong students and have a demonstrated need for financial support,” Hoffman said. “Activities and work history may be looked at as well.”

Hoffman said the scholarship is awarded every year, but the number of students or amount awarded varies from year to year.

“Last year, we awarded two applicants with $2,000 scholarships each,” Hoffman said.

Hoffman said the scholarship committee began their search for scholarship applicants by spreading the information through different departments at the University.

“We sent out 30 letters to people in different departments to look for possible applicants,” Hoffman said.

DoVeanna Fulton Minor, chair and associate professor in the department of women’s studies, spoke on what it means to the department to be able to help spread this information.

“[The department of] women’s studies is committed to supporting educational and professional endeavors for women,” Minor stated. “We were happy to receive the information and be able to distribute it to gather nominations.”

According to the Isabella Hummel Graham Scholarship Fund information sheet, the University Women’s Club began in 1908 and began providing aid to female students with efforts spearheaded by member Isabella Hummel Graham. The Isabella Hummel Graham Scholarship Fund was created in 1931 in her honor. The fund has since given financial assistance to more than 200 women that have attended the University.

Minor spoke of the benefits of having a scholarship like the Isabella Hummel Graham scholarship.

“The scholarship is dedicated to undergraduate women performing successfully academically and who are financially need-based,” Minor said. “It recognizes we have really good students who may not necessarily be financially able. [The scholarship] makes it easier to complete educational goals.”

As stated on the application, the scholarship is open to undergraduate female students at the University with at least a 3.0 GPA and with demonstrated financial need.

Along with the completed application, applicants must submit a one-page essay stating qualifications for the scholarship or why she deserves the scholarship. Three references, with at least one coming from a professor who has taught you in the past year, and a current unofficial transcript are required.