Take back fall fashion

Growing up in the rural South, where tradition is everywhere and conservatives rule most veins of life, we are subject to many rather strict rules that might not have been a problem in other parts of the country. Politeness is in our nature. “Yes ma’am” and “No sir” are key staples of our vocabularies. Wearing jeans to church could be considered a cardinal sin.

Then there are those other fashion rules that have prevailed throughout the whole country, many of which are outdated and, quite frankly, needn’t be followed any longer.

The most recently observed fashion faux pas is the dreaded “No wearing white after Labor Day” mandate. And yeah, I’ll be honest. I wore my white skinny jeans to the San Jose State game because I knew Labor Day would pass before the next week, and I wanted to get one last use out of them.

But then I thought, why is that even a rule anyway? It’s kind of stupid really. So, I went to the all-knowing Google. Turns out, no one really knows when this rule first originated. Figures. It’s like the Hatfields and McCoys. Who cares what we’re feuding about, because rules are rules, right?

At least there are some ideas about it. The Navy switches from their white to their blue uniforms after Labor Day. Mostly, people have speculated that the color white does not absorb much heat, and therefore would be much cooler to wear in the winter months. Hello? Have you been outside lately? It’s still about 105 degrees. By all means, wear something cool.

One more direct idea behind the white rule is that because white clothes would be cold in winter, it was a sign of being upper-class if you could afford darker clothes to keep yourself warm. Well, don’t furs come in white? Oh well.

Then there’s the whole “winter whites” thing, which is just sort of confusing. If it’s okay to wear a cream-colored skirt any time of year, then why can’t you wear white pants in November? Personally I think white sets off some of the gorgeous fall colors such as orange (not seen much around this campus, but still a good fall color whether you like it or not) and crimson (much better, right?) in a really fresh, modern way.

The ever-trusty Style.com says go for it as well. Gucci has white pants as an essential piece in their recent fall collection. Paired on the runway with black boots and a leather jacket, it’s a pretty chic biker or rock star look. Never mind if you’re not a biker or a rock star. Who says they should get to have all the fun?

I’m not saying deck yourself out in goose feathers or something. Leave that to Lady Gaga. But come on. Be a rebel. Wear those white pants you just stuffed into your closet, never to see the light again until after Memorial Day.

Before you know it, you’ll be breaking all the rules — brown and black together, opposite-gender jeans, that streak of color you’ve wanted in your hair for a while now — and you’ll be looking damn good while doing it.

Fall trend to die for: 1950s-60s style suits, dresses and skirts. We probably owe it to AMC’s “Mad Men” for this recent break-out in pencil silhouettes and three-piece suits. Banana Republic has a whole line dedicated to the show, and local store Vintage Vibe has some pieces from the show’s own fashion designer. It’s classic and sophisticated, and really nothing says debonair quite like it.

Celebrity style to watch: Joseph Gordon-Levitt. From his slick and clean lines in “Inception” to his nerdy-chic work attire in “500 Days of Summer,” the 28-year-old actor has me wishing real guys dressed like him all the time. Even in a T-shirt and jeans, he manages to wear clothes that look like he spent at least a minute thinking about them, instead of grabbing the first thing he saw from the closet. Gentleman, do me a solid and take a leaf from his book?