Bentley, Sparks: I’ll take neither

Henry Ford once said, “When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.”

The 2010 Gubernatorial Debate held here at the University last week was a gale force wind.

I am both proud and glad that UA, through the hard work of students and others, hosted the debate because it showcased everything wrong with Alabama politics directly in front of the up-and-coming generation.

The candidates treated viewers to conventional Alabama campaign rhetoric. It was as if they did not care whether many in attendance could decipher their political speak. In truth, they did not and will not need to appeal to students anyway — as if they could in the first place.

Neither of their political bases relies on the youth vote, which results in an undesirable political environment for college students. 

On one hand, Agricultural Commissioner Ron Sparks opened with how bad Alabama was “hurting” and talked up his plans to legalize gambling. On the other, Dr. Robert Bentley made his moral background and stances known and promised to create jobs. These two gubernatorial options will only cause some students to wash their hands off and leave the state.

I cannot blame them either. The discourse was maddening.

Though Alabama has one of the most regressive tax systems in the nation, Bentley claimed the state’s taxes do not burden the poor.

While cheering on the idea of “innovative schools,” Sparks dismissed charter schools with an uncited statistic concerning their allegedly poor performance rate.  

Bentley’s entire pitch is that he will create jobs, yet he stumbled when asked about finding industries that best fit certain areas of the state. For industrial expansion in a region known mostly for its hunting, he suggested the hiring of “deer people” and the implementation of “reserves.” Oh, deer indeed.

Sparks’ entire campaign is built on legalizing and taxing gambling to fund education. He touted Georgia’s success with the HOPE scholarship, but for some reason, he failed to mention that not every student receives that scholarship and Georgia has consequently faced rising tuition costs. Not a bet I’m willing to take.   

In response to the state’s education budget having heavy ties to unstable sales tax revenue, Bentley proposed that the best fix is to simply put people back to work. Not that Alabama could and should change its constitution to tie the budget more with stable tax revenue from property tax, which happens to be the lowest in the nation according to the Tax Foundation of Washington, D.C. It’s what other states do to much more success. But trust him instead; he is a doctor — a dermatologist to be exact.

You get the picture. Both candidates certainly have what it takes to become governor. Neither, though, have what it takes to be a transformational governor.

On this pace, our state may never realize its potential, as election after election is won by politicians who have no desire to drastically change Alabama. Their only desire is to change their government position. 

Inspiring candidates do not appear magically and face a difficult path towards election, let alone party nomination. Representative Artur Davis and Bradley Byrne know this all too well.

This mockery of a debate was a challenge to us students. Some will laugh it off as they walk away. Others will support or ignore the current conditions. A slim minority will decide to answer the call for unexplainable reasons.

Lee Oswald grasps that mindset when he writes, “Happiness is taking part in the struggle, where there is no borderline between one’s own personal world, and the world in general.”

This state needs its youth to step up. Just a little bit of change in Alabama would be monumental, and it can and should be spearheaded by our generation. Though parties define our political system, I cannot promise much fun.

All I can promise is that this state’s political establishment will endure alongside Alabama’s problems if they are not challenged.

We are a go for takeoff, ladies and gentlemen.

Wesley Vaughn is a junior majoring in public relations and political science. His column runs on Wednesdays.