Our View: Opinions page must act as a facilitator

Last week, many different parts of campus were criticized on the Crimson White opinions page – including the opinions page itself. The one column that generated the most controversy, though, was published on Friday under the headline, “More like the Ten-Cent Band.”

The intense reaction to that column has been a learning experience for our staff. We hope to use this experience as an opportunity to clarify the mission of the opinions page and encourage your participation in the dialogue we are attempting to create.

The opinions page exists not to spark a conversation, but to facilitate one. We are not trying to push an agenda, but to collect thoughts and ideas from students all across campus about the issues important to them.

We encourage our columnists to be engaging – to spur students to think critically about campus, state and national issues. Our vision is an opinions page where every student can find a voice, and every student can have his or her thoughts challenged. We want the opinions page to reflect the level of commitment and public spirit at this university by publishing well-constructed student viewpoints on a wide range of topics.

Unfortunately, some of our readers don’t feel the band column facilitated constructive conversation. While the writer is entitled to his opinion—and we would steadfastly defend his First Amendment right to express that opinion in a public space—the inflammatory and needlessly derogatory nature of the column established a poor standard for our opinions page. Going forward, then, we are going to renew our dedication to making sure everything on this page is worthy of the standards of the CW and the expectations of our readers.

However, it is important to clarify that the opinions page exists for opinions. Just because we publish something doesn’t mean we agree with it. Unlike reporters, columnists are not assigned topics to write about and are instead allowed to explore issues they think are important for our readers. If you disagree with their conclusions, write us and make your case.

In addition to publishing columns from our regular staff of contributors, we also publish several guest columns and letters to the editor each week. We do this to represent views not customarily covered by regular columnists, and to offer readers a venue to let us know what we are doing wrong. If you disagree with one of these student expressions, feel free to respond to them as well.

We will work harder to ensure that the views expressed here are done so in a way that is respectful and conducive to having a productive campus conversation. As one of the larger newspapers in the state of Alabama, the CW strives to maintain a standard of professionalism and responsibility in choosing what to place on our pages. We jeopardized that standard on Friday.

However, we will also keep this page open to divergent and engaging points of view. Let us know yours.

Our View is the consensus of The Crimson White’s editorial board.