Manna Grocery and Deli offers an assortment of healthy food

Manna Grocery and Deli may just appear to be another storefront in a sea of McFarland’s boulevard of strip malls, but in it lies a haven for many of Tuscaloosa’s healthiest eaters. At first glance, it really looks like nothing special but as you step inside, you are greeted by the glowing, happy faces of both employees and customers alike, who are all knowledgeable about every odd-looking vegetable and unpronounceable herb supplement in stock.

Since Manna is also a deli, the aroma changes with each day’s specials, such as shrimp gumbo and caramelized onions. I decided to order the strangest thing on the menu, so following the scent, I ended up with the eggplant and caramelized onion burger. But before I could even take my first bite, two sweet older men, David and Tola, approached me to ask if I was writing an article on Manna and declared that they were the best people in the place to be interviewed for it.

“I’ve been coming here for over thirty years,” David, a chemical engineering professor at the University of Alabama said.  

The manager came over and began a conversation with us, joking that I shouldn’t trust what the two old friends had to say about this place. I had only been here a few minutes, and yet I felt like I was a regular ordering my daily special along with all the young moms, old friends, professors and college students eating lunch there. After tasting that delicious eggplant burger, I definitely could commit to that.

As someone who struggles to find vegan-friendly options without having to go to Birmingham, I was overjoyed to find a place that served specialty items such as coconut milk yogurt, cashew milk ice cream and vegetarian chili and that also had helpful employees who understood my diet. But this place caters to all sorts of diets and educates even the pickiest of eaters on finding the most delicious and healthy food based on their personal preferences.

Manna has all the staples and specialty foods one could dream of even in such a small space. Local produce, fresh meat and seafood, fair trade coffee and specialty gluten-free and allergy-friendly options prove that quality and customer service are valued over quantity and making money in this store. If you don’t see a certain product, Manna will special order it for you. Local art fills the walls and caring, personable employees serve loyal customers making this place an important part of Tuscaloosa’s culture.

“You just can’t beat a family-owned place. [The] Fresh Market is great, but it’s just not the same. Not even close.” Tola, my other newfound friend, said.

When asked if they thought the brand-new grocery store, The Fresh Market, would hurt Manna’s business, the two men said they weren’t sure. They hope people will appreciate this place for its friendly atmosphere, excellent food and service that just can’t be beat. Like most other sorority girls in Tuscaloosa, I have already spent hours in the newly-opened Fresh Market perusing the aisles, trying the salad bar and stocking up on Kombucha, but after several experiences at Manna, I found myself driving the extra quarter-mile there instead. It only took one visit to get me hooked on this place, and I hope that Manna will continue to thrive as well as educate Tuscaloosa’s students and residents on healthy living for years to come.

Manna is open Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. The deli is open for lunch from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.