Oak House to perform at Green Bar

Formed in Athens, Georgia, Oak House is a relatively new band. Opening for other Athen based bands like the Whigs, T. Hardy Morris and Easter Island, Oak House is slowly making a name for itself across the East Coast. On tour this fall to introduce their debut album, “Plastique Cash,” (which they finished with Ryan Monah of Easter Island) Oak House will be performing at the Green Bar in Tuscaloosa on Sept. 10.

Oak House plays a heavy mix of melodic indie rock, psychedelic, experimental and grunge. Occasionally, there are chaotic moments of Southern infused guitar riffs, which hints to the bands Georgia roots. Drummer Wes Gregory said the style of the band is based on each member’s various influences such as Grizzly Bear, The Pixies and Nirvana. Gregory, a recent University of Georgia graduate, grew up listening to a lot of heavy music that emphasized speed and technicality.

Gregory said their front man, Gresham Cash, had a wide range of influences: from electronic centric music like Radiohead to rock classics like The Beatles. The band’s bass player, Connor Sabula, primarily plays the jazz guitar outside the band.

“This lets [Sabula] approach his instrument in a unique way, allowing him to draw on his influences in ways that most bass players would not do,” Gregory said. “When we write music, these differences allow us to offer insight into each other’s playing habits and create a unique and healthy balance of all the influences we draw upon, creating the sound that is Oak House.”

Although not all college students may be interested in this style of music, Gregory said, the band is still accessible to people, even those who primarily listen to hiphop or pop.

“Having a unique sound is a two edged sword in a lot of markets that we have played in the past. On one hand, because people may have never heard the style we are playing, it has the potential to be difficult to relate to, or inaccessible to people who primarily listen to pop music,” Gregory said. “On the other hand, our uniqueness enables us to stick out and cut through the noise of stylistically common bands. It makes our shows memorable and hard to ignore, no matter the musical disposition of our listeners.”

Check out their website, www.oakhouseband.com, for future tour dates, and visit the Green Bar at 2209 4th Street on Sept. 10 at 9 p.m. to experience their interesting sound.