GAMEDAY: Wisconsin sports editor talks opener

TNS

Q. There’s a disparity in the rankings between the two teams, and Wisconsin has a first year coach so what’s the mood on campus and around the program up there like? How is this game viewed?

A. Obviously this is a very good game because Alabama, as I’m sure you know, is considered one of the class programs of college football. I would say overall, there’s, I wouldn’t say a lot of people that think they [Wisconsin] are going to upset them [Alabama], but most people do think they have a chance. It kind of reminds me of the feeling that there was going into the game against LSU last year. Where there’s a general sense that they are probably not going to win, but they are not going to get blown out or anything and maybe if everything goes right for them maybe they can win.

Q. Saban actually talked today a lot about his respect for the Wisconsin defense. What would you say Wisconsin’s defense could do that could give Alabama trouble Saturday?

A. Pretty much the entire starting secondary is back, [and] most of the front seven. They can do a pretty decent job of just limiting big plays by Alabama. I’m guessing they are going to try to start off by trying to definitely shut down the run, and try to force Alabama who doesn’t have as much experience at quarterback or wide receiver, they lost a lot of key players there, try to force them to do something with the ball. They are definitely going to have cause more turnovers than last year if they want to pull off the upset.

Q. Wisconsin is known for the same thing Alabama is known for, which is running the ball. What extent do you think Wisconsin is going to stick to running the ball considering Alabama has what appears to be a talented front seven that prides itself on stopping the run?

A. “Even though they lost Melvin Gordon, Corey Clement is kind of like all the other great running backs they’ve had where no matter how good the guy that left somebody steps up to fill the role.” 

Q. How do you see the game going down in the fourth quarter? Who do you think will win and why?

A. Well I hate to pick against Wisconsin but if I had to I’d say that Alabama will probably win. That being said I don’t think they will blow them out. I do think it will still be close in the fourth quarter. Obviously if the Badgers can get the cards to fall the right way for them… It would be one of the biggest wins in program history.