Alabama soccer loses second road game

After a tough scoreless tie against Wake Forest on Friday night at the Alabama Soccer Complex, the Alabama Crimson Tide soccer team dropped a 2-1 loss on the road against the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles Sunday night.

Redshirt sophomore Kat Stratton made her first start of the season at goalkeeper over Emily Rusk, who had a season high seven saves on Friday night against the Demon Deacons.

“I made a lot of changes to the starting lineup so perhaps that disrupted things a bit, but I think I would do it again,” said coach Wes Hart. “I’m confident in the lineup that I put out there and I know they are more than capable of getting the job done.”

Tennessee Tech took an early advantage on the offensive side. The Golden Eagles took an early 1-0 16 minutes into the first period after a goal by defender Mary Francis Hoots that was assisted by forward Taylor Blazei.

After the goal, the Crimson Tide played more aggressive on offense, taking three corner kicks with midfielder Hailey Brohaugh in the span of three minutes. Alabama took four shots in the first half, including a shot on goal from defender Celia Jimenez. The team has been scoreless in the first half of every game this season.

Alabama came into the second period looking to find a way to score against a tough Golden Eagles defense, and they did. They tied the match at 1-1 in the 53rd minute with a goal by Jimenez that was assisted by freshman forward Emma Welch off a corner kick.

The Golden Eagles responded after the Crimson Tide’s goal by retaking the lead in the 62nd minute after forward Zoie Hensley stole the ball from goalkeeper Kat Stratton at the top of the box and fed it to midfielder Taylor Sutton for a wide open goal.

Despite the applied pressure and outshooting the Golden Eagles 14-2 in the second period, Alabama couldn’t even the score and lost their second game of the season, both on the road. Celia Jimenez finished the game with eight shots with two shots on goal and a score. The Golden Eagles goalkeeper Kari Naerdemann had five saves and only allowed one goal.

“Tennessee Tech came out with a lot of energy and spirit and did enough to win the game,” said Hart. “We will let this one sting for a day and then we’ll move on. We are looking forward to getting back to work on Tuesday and preparing for Harvard.”

Alabama will stay on the road for their next game against Harvard in Cambridge, Massachusetts this Friday at 6 p.m. CT.