Where to eat when parents are paying

“So, where can we take you out to eat?”

Ah, music to a college student’s ears. Your parents are coming into town, and whether they’re down here to see you or to see the Tide play, it doesn’t make a difference ‘cause you know what you’ll eventually be getting: a free meal. And not just a free meal, but a good free meal — one that does not consist of your roommate’s leftover Domino’s or Chick-fil-A sandwich handouts.

Now, back to that original question posed: Where do you want your parents to take you to dinner? It’s got to be someplace you wouldn’t go on a regular basis and probably wouldn’t want to pay for on a regular basis either. I think there are four restaurants that have great food, unique atmospheres and prices that are perfect for parents footing the bill.

Nick’s in the Sticks

True to its name, Nick’s is definitely in the sticks. But with killer $10 filets and an even deadlier house drink (The Nicodemus), Nick’s is a winning combination. Come early because this tiny dive fills up fast. Even if you get stuck in the 6 o’clock boom, Nick’s in the Sticks is worth the ride and worth the wait. A tradition in and of itself, Nick’s remains one of Tuscaloosa’s most endearing restaurants.

Entrees $10-$15

Monday through Thursday, 5 to 9 p.m.

Friday and Saturday, 5 to 10 p.m.

4018 Culver Rd

(205) 758-9316

Evangeline’s

An eclectic take on American cuisine, Evangeline’s offers delicious food and an elegant dining atmosphere as one of Tuscaloosa’s premier restaurants. The cost might be high, but the seasonal dishes that range from Katie’s Farm Fritto Mist to Gulf Coast Shrimp and Grits are well worth it.

Appetizers $6-$15

Entrées $16-$30

Lunch: Tuesday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Dinner: Monday through Saturday, 5 p.m. to chosen closing time

Tuscaloosa Galleria

1653 McFarland Blvd. N.

(205) 752-0830

evangelinesrestaurant.com

DePalma’s

Conveniently nestled between downtown and campus, DePalma’s is a cozy café that serves up authentic Italian cuisine. Dishes like Portabello Risotti, Filetto Siciliano and Veal Scaloppine dot the menu and are joined by more familiar favorites like their daily pasta specials and hand-tossed pizzas. Perfect location, savory fare and warm vibe make DePalma’s one of the best restaurants around.

Pasta $8-$12

Pizza $11-$13

Entrees $14-$24

Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Friday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.

2300 University Blvd.

(205) 759-1879

depalmasdowntown.com

Desperados Steakhouse

Described as “blending a rustic feel with the modern touch of an upscale casual restaurant,” Desperados Steakhouse is just that – a casual dinning experience with upscale food. Their claim to fame is their specialty seasoned char-grilled steaks, but they also offer burgers, chicken and seafood and an extensive wine list. And whether you come for a buffalo ribeye, spicy Thai drummette or the 911 burger, every Desperados meal has to be finished with their Heavenly White Chocolate Cheesecake, which is truly out of this world.

Appetizers $7-$13

Entrees $15-$30

Sunday through Wednesday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Thursday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.

1530 McFarland Blvd. N.

(205) 343-1700

desperadossteaks.com