Hidden Gems | Heritage House Coffee and Tea

Whether studying, meeting up with friends or trying to find peace and quiet, Heritage House Coffee and Tea has become a home away from home for many University of Alabama students, including Megan Birkes, a junior majoring in restaurant and hospitality management.

“Heritage House is not just some standard place you go to. It’s like visiting your family. I really feel like I’m a part of the Tuscaloosa community there. I absolutely love it,” Birkes said.

Part of Heritage House’s charm lies in the decorations and furniture, which range from couches and a working fireplace to wooden tables and chairs of all different sizes. The mismatched furnishings and Pinterest-worthy wall decorations put customers at ease immediately. 

“We found all of the wood that we built the bar with, and my nephew made the lights above the bar out of coffee cups,” said owner Rebekah Wanstall.

In the very back, hanging amongst knick-knacks and shelves full of home-goods, is a Prayer Wall where customers can write down and hang up their prayers and petitions on provided tags and pins.

“Our faith has a lot to do with the environment here. It’s really a peaceful place to come study, read the Bible or really relax. Everyone is welcome here,” said Caroline Wilson, a barista at Heritage House and a freshmen majoring in fashion retail.

“We have t-shirts that say ‘[Heritage House] is my Happy Place’ and it really is.”

Birkes said Heritage House tries to make every customer feel welcomed. All the employees learn people’s names and know who they are. 

“It’s a hole in the wall but it is very charming, like Pinterest threw up in a fun, rustic way,” she said.

In June of 1994, Heritage House became the first coffee house in Tuscaloosa. Although it has changed owners, this locally-owned business has only grown. Wanstall, who has a strong faith, praises God for their continued success. 

“I had no idea whether this business would be successful, and I am overwhelmed at the love we have received,” Wanstall said “I’m still amazed and grateful every day at the customers who come in, and for quality people I have on staff.”

Heritage House serves breakfast and lunch daily, with a menu ranging from homemade pastries and croissants to heartier meals such as egg croissants, crepes and a daily soup. They serve a wide range of flavors for both their gourmet coffees and teas. 

“The best thing I have ever had was definitely the French toast, ordered with extra powdered sugar. Drink-wise, an iced vanilla latte is always a solid choice,” Birkes said. 

Heritage House is located on the corner of McFarland and Towncenter Boulevard in Tuscaloosa. They are open Monday through Saturday and have free Wi-Fi available for customers. Find out more about Heritage House at their website.

Visit our google map to check out this hidden gem and future ones to follow.