The Opinions Page, in my opinion

During the dead week of last semester, this very newspaper transformed as a slew of new editors took over, eager to erase the memory of last year’s lackluster product.

The changes so far have been impressive: no Associated Press stories, constructive graphs, a new website and a revamped social media strategy.

One section of the paper has yet to adopt the “Your Source, Your News” slogan. You are looking at it.

Unlike other sections of this paper, the opinions page has lacked and still lacks a definite purpose.

I deserve as much blame as anyone. My columns over the past three years have consisted of sarcastic and serious pieces concerning national, state and campus issues. I’ve written with more pens than hats worn by Leonardo DiCaprio in “Catch Me If You Can.”

About 75 percent of those did not relate to Capstonians, and I would bet that 75 percent of all columns printed this semester have fallen short in that regard.

Columns in a student newspaper should be student related. However much I would love to be George Will or Thomas Friedman, their writing style and topic choices belong in the Washington Post and the New York Times, not The Crimson White.

Since this paper does not cover national issues, its columnists should refrain from opining about such stories, unless he or she has a truly unique view. More than enough venues, which students already follow, print those sorts of pieces.

The CW is the only newspaper strictly for UA students, and the opinions page should follow suit. Page four contributors have no explicit responsibility, but they do have an incredible opportunity to not just spark conversation but to instigate dialogue on campus about campus.

Last week, this section printed four columns discussing the Quran burning controversy in Gainesville, Fla. That was four too many. That story lit up the ratings for media outlets and ultimately flamed out like every other media-hyped event.

Students cope with far more pressing matters than a lunatic and a few dozen followers burning a religious text. It is far too easy to read a few AP articles and crank out a political science reading response. Digging up stories and addressing issues that pertain to college life is much more difficult and beneficial.

With over 30,000 students now enrolled here, the handful of regular contributors cannot possibly be the only students with bones to pick and solutions to proffer.

I am not strictly calling for exposes. Though provoking and potentially helpful, other styles and formats abound. Sarcasm, analysis, haikus, anecdotes and many others all work in prompting public conversation – as long as they target the proper audience. National issues should still be addressed but with a local angle when possible.

There is no better place than this page for daily public conversation. The constant process of improving campus life on a large scale should be inclusive as possible, and the opinions page provides a forum to discuss these issues and present new ones.

This degree of openness will churn up more diverse voices. Though it could get a little loud at times, no democracy has ever complained about too much civic participation.

The CW of old has been trashed, yet the opinions page has been recycled.

I found it only necessary to publicly voice my concerns with a large campus organization that I am involved in. A columnist practicing what he preaches; I would start stocking up your fallout shelter if I were you.

Wesley Vaughn is a junior majoring in public relations and political science. His column runs on Wednesdays.