Kappa Sigma gets charter revoked

The UA chapter of the Kappa Sigma fraternity lost its national charter on Sept. 8, according to University and national organization sources.

“[They lost their charter due to] violation of our code of conduct for alcohol and social function violations,” said Mic Wilson, executive director of Kappa Sigma.

Wilson said the chapter will have 30 days from the day of notice to submit an appeal to the Kappa Sigma board of directors.

“They are still within that window to do so,” he said. “Until their ability to appeal has been exhausted, I can’t comment anymore.”

Gentry McCreary, director of Greek Affairs, said in an e-mailed statement Monday the national organization of Kappa Sigma has withdrawn the charter of the UA chapter for violations of Kappa Sigma policy and violations of the Code of Student Conduct.

“The chapter was suspended earlier this semester and the charter was withdrawn following an investigation by UA and the national organization,” McCreary said.

Cathy Andreen, director of media relations, said in an e-mailed statement Monday the University is taking the appropriate actions regarding the violations of the Code of Student Conduct.

Andreen declined further comment on the specifics of why Kappa Sigma lost their national charter.

A member of the fraternity who spoke on the condition of anonymity said the executive council of Kappa Sigma was disbanded earlier this semester.

Former chapter president Adam Sutherland said the fraternity plans to appeal the decision.

“We are working with the University and our housing cooperation,” Sutherland said. “We are working [through] the sanctions of our national fraternity and we are waiting to see what happens as the process continues.”

Andreen said that students living in the house will continue living there under the supervision of a University-employed house director throughout the appeal process.

She said the chapter had been on probation for the last year.

Several anonymous members of the fraternity said on Aug. 17, two freshman girls showed up drunk to the Kappa Sigma fraternity house. Later that night, they went the Druid City Hospital for alcohol poisoning. Members said this incident contributed to the revocation of the fraternity’s charter.

“The problem is the freshman girls at this school that can’t control their alcohol consumption,” one Kappa Sigma member said. “It causes problems for themselves and everyone around them.”