Alabama Shakes come to the Tuscaloosa Amphitheater

“The Alabama Shakes are one of the hottest touring bands in the country right now and put on an amazing live show that their Tuscaloosa fans will not want to miss. It’s going to be a great way to kick off the fall semester,” said Betsy Kiser, marketing director at Red Mountain Entertainment.

Alabama Shakes has gained fame and recognition for their powerful sound and extensive touring. Though their first album was praised for its soulful blues-rock, the band said they believe their second album, “Sound and Color,” demonstrates how the band has grown.

“We were able to sit down and think about what’s exciting to us, explore all the things we wanted to on our first album. This record is full of genre-bending songs – it’s even harder now when people ask, ‘What kind of band are you?’ I have no clue,” Howard said in an official press release.

“Everybody has really advanced on their instruments,” said Fogg, a UA alumnus, in an official press release. “Brittany’s vocals have gotten so much stronger, she’s able to do more things than she even knew she could.”

“I feel like I’m capable of anything,” Howard said in response. “It took a lot of patience to make this record, and to communicate so well with each other. I know now we’re the kind of band that can do that.”

The Tuscaloosa Amphitheater has partnered with the Department of Telecommunication and Film to produce performances such as the Alabama Shakes’. UA students, faculty and staff operate every show, Tuscaloosa Arts and Entertainment manager Christy Bobo said.

“We have maintained a terrific partnership that fosters education and hands-on experience while providing show-goers with an amazing show,” Bobo said.

The open-air amphitheater seats just under 7,500, providing patrons with an intimate concert experience.

“The Tuscaloosa Amphitheater is special because of the level of pride that employees and citizens of Tuscaloosa hold for the venue,” Bobo said. “When we have the support of the students, faculty and staff of our local universities, we can’t fail.”

The Alabama Shakes concert will open with a performance from the Drive-By Truckers, another local band formed in Athens, Georgia. Tickets are still available online through the Tuscaloosa Amphitheater website or on Ticketmaster. Doors open at 7 p.m.