Football Continues Camp on First Day of Class

Every year, the first day of class marks the end of fall camp for Alabama football. This year, it cuts fall camp about a week short due to the season starting the first weekend of September, a week later than usual.

“Our focus this week is to improve,” head coach Nick Saban said Wednesday. “How much you improve between the first scrimmage and the second scrimmage goes a long ways into saying who and what your role in this team is going to be because we’re going to have to make some decisions about who we’re going to coach and who we’re going to get ready 
to play.”

Classes just add to the mix 
with the team’s second scrimmage 
Saturday.

“It just comes with being a college athlete,” sophomore left tackle Cam Robinson said. “That’s just something you have to deal with and something you have to do.”

Quarterback Jake Coker, who missed two days due to a foot injury, was back in practice Wednesday. Saban said he shouldn’t be out more than a day 
or two.

“Some other players that got back to practicing today — some of the injured guys that were here for rehab during camp,” Saban said. “Kenyan Drake is recovering and did a nice job in practice today in a black jersey. Cam Robinson was in a black jersey only because he sprained his shoulder a little bit or something. 
I’m not going to make an explanation for every guy that wears a black jersey. It’s the way we practice that we don’t want to have a lot of contact, so every player knows that he doesn’t have contact, and there’s not going to be an explanation for that.”

Saban also addressed players using private quarterback coaches in the offseason when they can’t work with the Alabama coaches.

“I personally think that a lot of guys have their own guys that they grew up with — call them tutors, call them coaches, call them personal coaches — and that has helped them be successful, that really kind of knows their game and knows what works for them,” Saban said. “Most of these guys that do this that I know, that we’ve had players work with, are very good at what they do. I think it’s been helpful to 
the players.”

Saban cited Blake Sims, Alabama’s quarterback in 2014, who went to a private coach before the season. He said the coach helped Sims improve.

“I trust our players,” Saban said. “They’re just trying to get better and they’re trying to improve their chances of being successful college players and developing a career of their own. I personally think there’s absolutely nothing wrong with what these guys do. It’s very beneficial.”