Libraries require ID after 10 p.m.

Without an ACTion Card, a student is deprived of many resources at the University.

Much like a debit card or a driver’s license, the ACTion Card allows students to purchase items or food and to allow entrance into parking decks or residence halls.

Now, the ACTion Card has another extension for its use.

Ever since Amelia Gayle Gorgas and Rodgers libraries started locking their doors at night, students, faculty and staff have been required to use their ACTion Cards to gain entrance.

Tom Wilson, associate dean for library technology, said in an e-mailed statement that the procedure was set in place to provide additional access to library resources.

“Locking the doors at 10 p.m. began this semester,” Wilson said. “Doors were locked and ACTion Card access began at midnight previously. Library administrators established this procedure to provide additional access to library resources for students, faculty and staff and an even safer late-night environment.”

Wilson said security concerns, however, were not a major factor in establishing this procedure.

“The decision to allow ACTion Card access only after 10 p.m. was not based on any particular security issues,” Wilson said. “However, the policy does provide an even safer environment for those using the libraries late at night.”

Wilson said the libraries are open to the public throughout the day so that individuals who do not attend the University and therefore lack ACTion Cards can remain in the libraries after 10 p.m. Exiting the library, however, will effectively shut them out unless someone opens a door.

“UA Libraries are open to the public,” Wilson said. “The only time entrance to the libraries is limited to students, faculty and staff is after 10 p.m.”

Wilson said the procedure has been advertised in several editions of The Crimson White, in newsletters e-mailed to students, faculty and staff, and on signs posted on library doors.

As for complaints, Wilson said he has heard of none.

“I’m not aware of any problems or complaints,” Wilson said.

Zachary McCann, a freshman in New College, said he was unaware of the procedure.

“I always walk around with my ACT Card anyways,” McCann said. “But no, I didn’t know.”

David Cifelli, a sophomore with an undeclared major, said he could see only small complications as outgrowths to the procedure.

“It could be a minor hindrance, but I don’t believe it’s an extremely important one,” Cifelli said.