Tickets penalties changed

The University of Alabama Student Government Association has revised its penalty system for those ticket holders who do not attend games and also fail to donate their ticket.

The new system revolves around a point system.

Students who do not donate or transfer their football ticket and fail to attend that week’s game will be penalized one point, according to the SGA. Those who donate their ticket after 5 p.m. on the Friday before the home game they do not attend will be given a half point penalty.

If a student accumulates three points worth of penalties in one football season, they become ineligible to purchase football tickets over the next year, according to the SGA policy.

Additionally, students who convert their ticket into a student guest ticket four or more times are ineligible to purchase football tickets over the next year.

This ineligibility includes not being able to purchase student tickets for possible SEC championship or bowl game appearances as well as not being able to purchase a student ticket package for the 2011 football season, the policy states.

SGA Vice President of Student Affairs Stephen Swinson said he believes the process will help more students receive donated tickets and will only penalize those who repeatedly neglect to donate or transfer their unused ticket.

“The goal of the new process is to ensure that the highest possible number of students are able to attend football games,” he said. “The penalties are a good balance because only repeated offenders will be ruled ineligible in the future.”

Dustin Ward, a senior majoring in finance, said he thinks the process will help freshmen receive tickets.

“There is nothing better than having a ticket for a football game,” he said. “When I was a freshman, it was hard getting all the tickets, but it was something I had to do. I haven’t missed a home game the four years I’ve been here.

“Maybe this process will help,” Ward said. “There’s no reason for someone who wants to go to not be able to go because you’re too lazy to do something with it.”

Jacob Bailey, a junior majoring in healthcare management, said he doesn’t care about the penalties of not donating a ticket because he will be attending every game and thinks that all hardcore Alabama fans will find ways to attend football games, regardless of the process.

“I got my ticket, a flask of whiskey and a hot-a– date,” he said. “I’m good to go for every game. I’m not worried about donating my ticket because I never miss the Tide play.”

“For all those other people, like me, who care about the Tide, they’re going to find a way into Bryant-Denny”