Spring Commencement dates set

The end of the spring semester is always an exciting time for students at The University of Alabama. Feelings of anxiety, happiness and relief abound as students head off for their summer plans. For seniors at this University of Alabama, the spring semester marks a season of closure as they prepare for graduation and the next chapter of their lives.

Spring Commencement will be held at Coleman Coliseum on May 1 and 2. This year, 4,729 will graduate from the University, according to Cathy Andreen, the director of media relations for The University of Alabama.

The Capstone College of Nursing, College of Communication & Information Sciences, College of Education and College of Human Environmental Sciences will hold commencement ceremonies May 1 at 6 p.m. The College of Arts & Sciences and School of Social Work will hold commencement ceremonies May 2 at 9 a.m. The College of Commerce & Business Administration and College of Engineering will graduate at 1:30 p.m. Saturday, and the day will conclude with the Law School commencement at 5 p.m.

Each college is hosting graduation events for graduating seniors prior to commencement ceremonies. On Friday, Dean Michael Hardin will host a picnic honoring all graduating seniors from the Culverhouse College of Business Administration. The picnic begins at noon with a speech on “How to make a million dollars” and will continue on the Quad. The College of Communication and Information Sciences will host a reception for graduates and their families Friday, May 1, from 1:30-3 p.m. in the rotunda of Reese Phifer. The Honors College is hosting a graduation celebration for families of Honors College graduates Friday, May 1 in Nott Hall from 1:30-3 p.m.

The Alabama Alumni Association is offering a discounted membership to May graduates who join before commencement. Students can join the Alumni Association by stopping by Alumni Hall and paying a $20 fee or by registering and paying online. All graduates will receive a complimentary gift from the Alumni Association if they join.

Any students who have still not purchased graduation regalia are able to purchase these items in the SUPe Store at the Ferguson Center.

Compiled by Rachel Brown