White team pulls away in final minutes for 27-14 win on A-Day

Take it for what it is – a practice – but in Saturday’s A-Day scrimmage, the White team’s defense won the day in the 27-14 win over Crimson.

Quarterbacks David Cornwell, Cooper Bateman and Blake Barnett went a combined 21-of-38 for 157 yards, one touchdown and four interceptions for the Crimson team.

Part of that Alabama coach Nick Saban attributed to the quarterbacks for the Crimson team playing with the second team offensive line. He said the quarterbacks for the White team had a much better opportunity.

“If I had to play on those two teams, I would’ve played better on the White team,” Saban said. “That’s me playing quarterback.”

White featured the second team defense which, along with four interceptions, had five sacks for 32 yards.

“We don’t have a lot of depth on offense right now so it really affects the second unit a lot more than it affects the first, especially when you had a few guys that are injured,” Saban said. “So those guys had a better opportunity to have success you know today. And they took advantage of it and did a good job.”

Jake Coker and Alec Morris split reps for White most of the game until freshman Blake Barnett came in for four drives in fourth quarter. He led the final scoring drive of the game. Barnett connected with ArDarius Stewart for a 29-yard touchdown and put the game out of reach for Crimson.

Stewart finished the game with 118 yards receiving and two touchdowns on eight catches. Robert Foster, who also played on White, had 125 yards receiving on six catches. Both were named co-MVPs of the day. Ryan Kelly, also on White, was named the most valuable lineman.

Derrick Henry led all running backs with 15 carries for 46 net yards and a touchdown for White. Kenyon Drake wore a black non-contact jersey and netted 13 yards on five carries for White.

The Crimson Team netted -16 yards rushing on 14 attempts. Ronnie Clark netted 12 yards on five carries. DeSherrius Flowers carried the ball once for two yards. He left the game following a hit and injured his left shoulder.

Flowers and Alphonse Taylor both left the game injured.

“The two guys, DeSherrius Flowers got a little bit of a shoulder, but it’s not a big issue, and Shank [Alphonse Taylor] has had a sprained knee all spring and sprained it again a little bit, but it’s nothing serious and not surgical,” Saban said. “He just needs some time to heal up and rest.”