UA golf club team emphasizes giving back to local community

When club president Lee House founded the golf club two years ago, he did not expect success to come immediately. Clubs can take several years to find a competitive footing with existing opponents. The University of Alabama’s golf club took less than a year.

The golf club won the National Collegiate Club Golf Association South Region the last three semesters. Two of those semesters, the team went on to compete for a national championship.

“It was amazing to immediately establish ourselves as the top contender in the South Region,” House said.

The University of Alabama’s golf club provides students of all skill levels with the opportunity to play golf competitively at the collegiate level. The club competes against several nearby schools such as Auburn, Tennessee and Georgia Tech.

Junior King Fender said the team is hoping to start a new tradition when it heads to Auburn to compete with the rival school this weekend. He said he hopes the clubs will host each other every semester.

“It will definitely add a little bit more to the season,” Fender said. “I mean, we have a competition over who can donate 
more food.”

This weekend means more to the club than just the continuation of the instate rivalry. The tournament also doubles as a charity event that supports the Jason Dufner Foundation’s mission to feed Alabama kids in need throughout the year.

Katie Cone, a sophomore majoring in exercise science, said giving back to the community is something the club tries to emphasize. She said they typically do this by volunteering to help the Ol’ Colony’s First Tee program. First Tee is an international program that exists to help kids learn the game of golf and values 
like sportsmanship.

“[You] correct their swing if it needs helping,” Cone said. “It’s a different type of experience its not just busy work, it’s fun.”

Cone said she did not join the club to win tournaments. She said she just wanted to find a community that would allow her to play the sport she loved.

“I really wanted to branch out and do something,” Cone said. “I just like to have fun with it.”