Rock legends to play with UA symphony

Legendary progressive rock group Kansas, known for hit songs like “Dust In The Wind” and “Carry On Wayward Son,” will be performing with the University of Alabama Huxford Symphony Orchestra tonight and Friday night at 7:30 p.m.

The two shows, which are set to take place in the Moody Music Hall, will kick off the Kansas Collegiate Symphony Tour, a two-month long, nationwide tour in which Kansas will perform with the symphony from each host school.

“Kansas loves to play. We always have. And we’re hoping the school symphonies feel the same way,” said Phil Ehart, the group’s drummer and a founding member. “So yes, it is a passion thing, but more of a passion about musicianship, coupled with the opportunity to help the schools’ music programs.”

Kansas consists of Ehart, lead vocalist and keyboard player Steve Walsh, guitarist Rich Williams, bassist Billy Greer and violinist David Ragsdale. The group has had a successful career, with millions of albums sold since it was founded by high school friends from Topeka.

Recently, Kansas’ music has been featured in many places, including the “Guitar Hero” and “Rock Band” video games, the television shows “The Simpsons” and “Family Guy” and a memorable scene in the movie “Old School.”

The idea for the college symphony tour was born when Kansas performed with the symphony of Washburn University in Topeka, Kansas, for the filming of the live CD and concert DVD “There’s Know Place Like Home.”

The extremely successful concert prompted the band to call many colleges and universities around the country to ask about organizing a similar concert on their campuses.

The group found that many music departments had trouble getting enough funding. Concern over these financial issues led Kansas to decide to use these concerts to raise money for the music programs of the schools that host a concert.

“[I hope] that it’s a great musical experience that we all remember,” Ehart said. “And in the end the school has made money for its music programs.”

The members of Kansas are not the only ones excited about the show. Arthur Diaz, a doctoral candidate in horn performance, has played with the Huxford Symphony Orchestra for four years. The French horn player is one of the students who will perform with Kansas.

“I think it’s a great experience, getting to play with such a well-known and talented band,” Diaz said. “Of course I know Kansas’ hits, like ‘Dust in the Wind’ and ‘Carry On Wayward Son,’ but a lot of their music I’m discovering for the first time while learning this concert, and I’m really enjoying it. This concert has a lot of unique entertainment aspects, like the light show, and the fusion of vocal, electronic and orchestral music that make it new and exciting for the students. It’s both musically satisfying and a huge thrill to be part of the experience.”

“[The University of Alabama] has a tremendous music program,” Ehart said. “And Charles ‘Skip’ Snead at Alabama really welcomed us with open arms. That meant a lot. We are really looking forward to these concerts at Alabama.”

Tickets are priced at $42 for the main floor seats, $37 for the first balcony seats and $32 for the second balcony seats. Tickets can be purchased by calling the School of Music Box Office at 205-348-7111. The box office is open from 8 a.m. to noon and from 1 to 4:45 p.m. If the lines are busy, ticket requests can be e-mailed to [email protected] or [email protected].