The Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award: Pam Parker

Pam Parker received the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award for excellent character and service to humanity. She received an undergraduate degree in business and a masters and doctorate degree in education at The University of Alabama. Parker ended her 27-year professional career at the University as vice president for advancement.

Parker is an Athens, Alabama, native and said her father, who was a first generation college student, inspired her to pursue degrees and to help others receive the same educational opportunities she had.

“I have just seen over and over the impact education has on a family,” she said. “That probably motivated me more than anything else to have that education and help others.”

Parker now lives with her husband Ed, a tax attorney. She has two sons and two grandchildren.

She said receiving the award was very humbling, especially because a former student of hers nominated her. She helped the student 
with scholarships.

“I didn’t realize at the time how badly he needed help,” she said. “You never know what little thing you do for somebody else, the kind of impact it could have.”

Kathleen Cramer, previous vice president for Student Affairs and vice provost, described Parker as a friend of students and an example to all.

“Dr. Parker’s love for students brought us together on many endeavors,” she said. “She guided student affairs through our Crimson Promenade campaign, creation of university club board of directors and advisor to many student groups including the Other Club and XXXI. She is an inspiring leader with deep loyalty to the students and 
the University.”