Student dance show to premiere Tuesday

Student dance show to premiere Tuesday

The student-produced showcase Dance Alabama! will return to the stage from April 7-11, featuring a wide variety of genres from hip-hop to 
classical ballet.

Students, both dance and non-dance majors, are in charge of all aspects of the show, from choreography, dancing, lights and production, with assistance from faculty.

“This concert is a wonderful example of student research and creative activity on our campus,” said Sarah M. Barry, associate professor of dance in the theatre and dance department. “Student choreographers craft their ideas, movement choices, select music and costumes and light their final projects, all under the guidance of 
faculty mentors.”

Auditions for the concert are held at the beginning of each semester, and selected acts have until the show to rehearse their works during the evenings and weekends.

“This show is a great chance for the community to come see the vision of many young artists and for students to support their peers pursuing their passions,” Barry said.

The showcase varies in length but usually features around 24 dances, each around three minutes at most. An average 75-100 students participating as choreographers, dancers and 
staff members.

Emily Higginbotham, a senior majoring in dance and president of Dance Alabama!, will perform three pieces, showcasing her jazz and contemporary ballet choreography.

“As a student organization, we participate in fundraisers in order to 
provide scholarships for dancers and to aid our philanthropy ‘The Alabama Dance Festival,’” she said. “We also host dance jams throughout the year to allow students – both majors and non-dance majors – to come to our studios and take class with us.”

Planning for the event starts at the beginning of every year, with new boards elected in the spring semester in order to prepare for the upcoming school year.

“I would encourage everyone to come and see this show because there really aren’t many chances to see this high quality of dancing in the Tuscaloosa area,” Higginbotham said. “The audience will be taken on a roller coaster of emotions from anger to sadness to happiness and everything in-between.”

She said the people participating in the showcase will someday be professionals on TV, Broadway, music videos and companies. She compared the experience to going to an Alabama football game and then later seeing the players in the NFL.

Tickets will be $14 for students, $20 for adults and $17 for faculty, staff 
and seniors.

There will be shows from Tuesday through Thursday at 7:30 p.m., Friday at 5:30 p.m. and Saturday at 2:00 p.m. at Morgan Auditorium.