OUR VIEW: Gubernatorial debate offers students an opportunity

Next Thursday, the University will host the first gubernatorial debate of the general election campaign. Republican candidate Dr. Robert Bentley and Democratic candidate Ron Sparks will face each other at 7 p.m. in the Moody Concert Hall.

Tickets to the debate will become available Sept. 13 on the My Football Tickets tab of the ACTion Card web site. They will be issued on a first come, first served basis.

Hosting a debate between the two candidates vying to lead the state for the next four years is a privilege for the University, and students should take advantage of this opportunity to get involved in the campaign for our state’s future.

All students should log on and at least attempt to secure a ticket. The debate will hopefully broadcast two competing visions for the state, and help educate the audience about the differences between the two candidates.

The debate will also be an interactive experience. Students who visit decisionalabama.ua.edu can submit questions for the candidates.

UA graduate and NPR correspondent Debbie Elliot will serve as debate moderator.

While this is a tremendous event for our campus, the debate is also an excellent example of our university taking a proactive role in the state. The forum will provide important insights into each candidate’s views, thus helping undecided voters come to an educated conclusion about who they want to support in November.

A lot of our students will vote for the first time this November; some out-of-state students may even be casting their ballots in Alabama this year. Voting is an important right that should be exercised at every available opportunity. However, we also have a responsibility to be informed members of the electorate. This debate gives our students an option for doing just that.

Students not registered to vote should contact College Democrats, College Republicans, or the SGA and get registered immediately. Regardless of where students are from, Tuscaloosa is home to us all. Our student body should therefore have a say in its politics.

All of the issues the candidates talk about will be related to our beloved state, from the quality of education we offer to the miles of road we build. Some of the issues they talk about will directly affect The University, such as the higher education budget and tuition hikes. We all have a stake in the way these issues are resolved.

So please, get engaged. Try to get a ticket. Visit the Facebook and Twitter pages of Decision Alabama. Finally, take pride that our university is once again facilitating an important conversation for the entire state to hear.

Our View is the consensus of the Crimson White editorial board.