​Softball blanks Georgia Tech 11-0

​Softball blanks Georgia Tech 11-0

It started and ended with 
a bang.

Senior Danae Hays hit the scoreboard with her first-inning two-run home run. Senior Chaunsey Bell hit the foul pole with sixth-inning grand slam to invoke the mercy rule in the 11-0 win over Georgia Tech.

“Danae Hays at the beginning of the game, in the bottom of the first in the huddle, she said, ‘Let’s start it off with a bang,’ and she was the one that did it so that’s kind of cool,” Alabama coach Patrick Murphy said.

Bell’s grand slam wasn’t the only one Alabama turned. In the bottom of the fifth inning, sophomore Marisa Runyon hit one over right field as part of a five-run inning.

The last time Alabama hit two grand slams in one day was May 3, 2008 at Georgia.

“This is really the nicest day we’ve played all year,” Murphy said. “I mean, really, perfect day to play. You know, why wouldn’t you feel good about playing today? You really gotta be down in the dumps to not feel good about playing today.”

The Crimson Tide scored 11 runs on 10 hits and left two on base, once in the second and third innings each.

Between the first and fifth innings, the Alabama lineup went down quietly. The two stranded runners came off singles. In the fourth, a walk turned into an out after pinch-runner Rachel Bobo was 
caught stealing.

Sophomore second baseman Demi Turner and junior outfielder Andrea Hawkins went 2-for-3 on the day, each scoring one run. Senior Danielle Richard, Hays, Runyon, junior Kallie Case and senior Jadyn Spencer had a hit apiece.

Sophomore right-hander Sydney Littlejohn (9-1) made her first start since throwing a perfect game against Ole Miss.

The reason she hasn’t started since is the matchups weren’t as good with her as other pitchers, Murphy said.

“She does exactly what we need her to do, and she 
probably earned a lot more pitching time,” Murphy said. “I mean, every time she goes out there she does a great job so no it wasn’t anything that she did wrong. She’s not hurt. It was a coaching decision.”

Littlejohn earned the win after five innings pitched. She retired 15 batters in a row, but gave up a hit after four perfect innings. The hitter was tagged out at second trying to make her single into a double. Her streak of batters retired in order at Rhoads Stadium is now 31 in a row.

“It’s one of those things, it goes through my mind, but I try not to think about it,” Littlejohn said. “There’s better things going on. I’m just trying to go for the W.”

In this weekend’s SEC slate, No. 5 Alabama (23-7, 6-3 SEC) hosts No. 23 Texas A&M (24-7, 6-3 SEC) for a three-game series. Friday’s action begins at 6:30 p.m. Saturday’s game starts at 2 p.m. and Sunday’s at 1:30 p.m.