Alabama softball takes series with 7-0 win over Ole Miss

For the second time in as many days, No. 5 Alabama softball came out with a shutout win. On Saturday, the Crimson Tide downed Ole Miss 7-0 with the help of a four-run first inning just like it did Friday.

It also had help from its pitching staff. For the second time in as many games, Alabama’s pitcher threw a complete-game shutout.

“It’s kind of been a trademark of our program where somebody throws a really good game, the next kid throws a better game, and then the next kid throws a better game, and so far it’s almost been that way in this series,” Alabama coach Patrick Murphy said.

Senior right-hander Leslie Jury (4-2) earned the win after seven shutout innings. She allowed six hits and struck out eight. She didn’t walk a single batter.

“I’ve worked really hard on limiting the free passes,” Jury said. “I don’t want to put any extra base-runners on.”

She had some help defensively. There were two errors on the infield, but neither gave Ole Miss any runs. The two errors broke Alabama’s five-game errorless streak.

On Saturday, Alabama didn’t get a grand slam in the first inning like it did Friday. Junior centerfielder Haylie McCleney got a bunt single to leadoff. Sophomore second baseman Demi Turner reached on an error. McCleney advanced to third. Alabama put down a double steal. Ole Miss tried to get Turner out at second, and McCleney stole home. Turner advanced to third on the throw home.

With senior designated hitter Danielle Richard up, Turner got caught in a pickle taking a lead off third. She scored on a 2-5-1-2 play with an error on the throw home from the catcher.

Richard then singled, bringing up senior right fielder Jadyn Spencer. Spencer hit a two-run home run to give Alabama a 4-0 lead.

The Crimson Tide didn’t score again until the sixth inning. With two outs, freshman catcher Carrigan Fain got her first career hit, a double. Senior shortstop Danae Hays reached first on a drop third strike. The wild pitch advanced Fain to third. Junior left fielder Andrea Hawkins hit both in on a two-out double. She reached third on a passed ball and scored on a wild pitch.

Hawkins had shoulder surgery in the summer and is starting to see more playing time after rehabbing her shoulder most of the fall. Saturday’s game was her second start of the season. She’s played in 13 games so far.

Her double on Saturday is her second RBI double this series and second double of the season. 

“I’ve been working hard, staying after practice, working with [associate head coach Alyson Habetz] because Aly is the guru of hitting,” Hawkins said. “And she’s been pushing me, and I’ve been working on hitting a lot more, which I haven’t been doing lately, and it’s finally coming through.”

Alabama (17-4, 2-0 SEC) goes for the sweep against Ole Miss (13-7, 0-2) on Sunday at 1:30 p.m.