UA student released from sorority for Snapchat containing racial slur

A member of a University of Alabama sorority was released from her organization and will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct after allegedly sending a Snapchat containing a racial slur on Wednesday evening.

The Snapchat, a screenshot of which was obtained by The Crimson White, contains a photo of what appears to be a PowerPoint presentation congratulating Nu Beta, the University of Alabama chapter of Chi Omega sorority. The member included the caption, “Off probation n—-!”

“The University of Alabama is extremely disappointed when any student uses language that is disrespectful or offensive to any segment of the UA community,” said Deborah Lane, associate vice president for university relations, in an emailed statement to The Crimson White. “Behavior, actions and choices that disparage other students are particularly reprehensible and do not represent the values or meet the expectations of our University community.”

Lane said the sorority notified Chi Omega headquarters and the University of the incident immediately. The student who sent the message is no longer a member of the sorority and will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct according to Lane’s statement.

In August a different Snapchat was sent by another member of the sorority containing a racial slur appearing to celebrate that Chi Omega pledged no black women, despite having two black women in their new member class. The member who sent the message was also dismissed from the organization following the incident.

“We will continue to work diligently to ensure that UA is a welcoming and inclusive campus,” Lane said. 

This article will be updated as more information becomes available.