Greek members compete in 1st Olympics for charity

Members of the University of Alabama Greek system will host their own Greek Olympics to raise money for children with cancer.

Carly Jones, a junior majoring in marine science, biology and telecommunication and film, is the social chair for Phi Sigma Pi Honors Fraternity and created the fundraiser. This is the first year of the event.

“I actually thought of the idea last semester, and have been working to put it in place since then,” Jones said. “It is an event where different Greek organizations on campus will be competing in ‘minute-to-win-it’ type games such as relays and tug-of-war to raise money for a 
philanthropy of their choice.”

The event is open to any UA student a part of a club or University organization, with tickets costing $5 per person.

Patrick Sipe, a sophomore majoring in economics, said he will participate in the event for St. Jude’s Children Hospital. He said he hopes to win to support for children 
with cancer.

“Our lovely social chair Carly has been working on Greek Olympics since the beginning of the semester, contacting various organizations and planning all of the events,” he said. “I’m so excited for all of the crazy and amazing events that have been planned.”

Jones said the idea came from a desire to promote and encourage inter-Greek relations.

“It’s only the first year, but so far we’ve had 40 people sign up,” she said. “I’m hoping the event is a success and that we can raise a lot of money for philanthropies.”