​School of Social Work to co-sponsor commemorative event

As a part of Black History Month, the School of Social Work will co-sponsor the “Marching to Selma” event at the Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center on Friday from 8:30 to 11 p.m. The event was started by Meredith Bagley, assistant professor of communication studies, with the help of her master’s thesis professor David Domke.

This event has drawn the attention and interest of students country-wide.

“In terms of growth, the visiting group has grown in size and in scope – this year we have 52 visitors, hailing from four university campuses in three states, with folks from college students to Deans to alumni and community members,” Bagley said. “They are all excited to visit Alabama and connect with those of us who live and work right here in Tuscaloosa.”

The keynote speaker of the night will be Charles Mauldin, a former student leader of the Selma marches and survivor of Bloody Sunday and the Voting Rights March of 1965.

“He will share his personal experiences and take questions to open the event,” Bagley said. “This is an amazing opportunity to see and hear from a direct participant in the events who was younger at the time than most UA students are right now.”

In addition to a guest speaker, the event will include poetry, music and personal experiences from other attendees.

Compiled by Kyarra Harris