Glow run returns to Tuscaloosa

Glow run returns to Tuscaloosa

Tuscaloosa Tourism and Sports will welcome the Glow Run 5k back to Tuscaloosa for a second year. Proceeds will benefit Tuscaloosa One Place, a resource center that empowers families in the community.

The Glow Run is a different kind of race, placing more emphasis on the atmosphere than on the participant’s race time.

“The Glow Run is done at night, which is different than a lot of other adventure runs,” said Brandt Garrison, director of communications and public relations for Tuscaloosa Tourism and Sports. “It’s such a fun and positive atmosphere, and runners capitalize on that energy.”

The Glow Run will host an after-party, complete with a DJ, Garrison said. While the evening will be fun and light-hearted, she also explained the importance of 
raising money for charity.

Amanda Waller, director of development at Tuscaloosa One Place, shared the significance of the partnership between the Glow Run and 
her organization.

“We strive to strengthen families in the community, and we do that through a lot of different programs like GED classes and career development,” she said. “All the money raised from the Glow Run will go to support these programs that we 
already do.”

Lindsey Martin, a freshman majoring in mechanical engineering, has participated in the Color Run, and she described the adventure run experience to be a race like no other.

“It’s different because it’s about the experience, not about how fast you get there,” she said. “There really are 
no winners.”