Crossroads promotes cultural exchange

Students, faculty and staff of all ages and cultural backgrounds can attend the semester’s premier of First Wednesdays, a monthly intercultural soirée designed to promote a sense of community and friendship on campus.

Crossroads Community Center will host the event at the Crossroads Lounge in the Ferguson Center today from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

“This is, of course, our grand kickoff,” said Brice Miller, associate director of Crossroads. “We want to promote international students socializing with others on campus and being able to feel comfortable.”

Last semester’s First Wednesdays were successful, Miller said, with an average of about 80 to 100 guests stopping by to enjoy games, cultural information sessions, conversations and free food.

“One Wednesday we had about 200 people show up,” Miller said. “First Wednesdays is really starting to develop an identity of its own across campus, which is what we were seeking to do.”

Today’s event will host a plethora of activities and feature a live broadcast from 90.7 The Capstone, as well as music from Crossroads’ own radio show, Turn on the A.C. (Alabama Culture). Informational tables from clubs and groups including First Friends, SGA, Spectrum, Study Abroad and the NAACP will be set up in at the Crossroads center and outside on the Ferguson Center mezzanine.

“It’s like a mini Get on Board Day,” said Jo Greene, a graduate assistant at Crossroads. “It’s a very busy day, but it’s a fun, good atmosphere.”

First Wednesdays, which is celebrating its fifth year on campus, promotes various cultural holidays and months each week, with Sept. 15 beginning their celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month.

“We’re really reaching out in coordination with international programs,” Miller said.

Different cultural clubs on campus will often have activities set up for First Wednesdays. For example, the Japanese Club has contributed with origami lessons in the past.

“I guess my favorite thing would be just the social aspect of it,” Greene said. “Where students come mingle with others. I think that’s a vital aspect on such a large campus.”

Greene said he began his work with First Wednesdays two years ago as a volunteer. He said he has had many positive experiences with meeting people through Crossroads and its programs, which is important for students.

“Meeting people they may not know about, people with different backgrounds and cultures that are on campus,” he said. “I’ve met a number of different people [through this program] and still hold close bonds with them today.”

Also opening today at the Crossroads Lounge will be Brice Miller’s own photography exhibition, “Katrina: 5 Years Later,” documenting his personal experience of the Hurricane Katrina disaster and efforts to rebuild a city in the aftermath.

“We welcome the entire student body, faculty and staff to come out and join us,” Miller said.

Crossroads also holds many other activities and events each month at the Lounge, including Real Talk, an open discussion of issues on and off campus; Global Café, where students can bring their lunch and enjoy music, poetry or other art; and Community Conversations, a dialogue session from various people about topics targeted toward student interest.

All events are free and open to anyone who wishes to participate. For more information, visit the Crossroads Community Center, Room 232 in the Ferguson Center or crossroads.ua.edu.