News in brief, 1/21/15

University Programs to host ‘Je suis Charlie’ discussion

University Programs will host a discussion about the recent terrorist attacks in France and the international “Je suis Charlie” movement  on Wednesday from 7 until 8:30 p.m. in the Ferguson Center’s Anderson Society Room. This event is free to students as a part of University Programs’ Hot Topics series, which runs once a month.

“Je suis Charlie” is a French slogan translating to, “I am Charlie.” It has been adopted by supporters of the freedom of speech controversy surrounding the Jan. 7 attack in Paris, where 12 people were killed at the offices of the satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo.

University students who want to learn more about this controversial incident and discuss their thoughts with peers can attend University Programs’ Hot Topics event at the Ferguson Center. These events are free and refreshments will be provided.

University Programs’ programming graduate assistant, Michelle Fowler, helps with the collaborative approach in deciding which topics should be discussed throughout the series. Past themes for the discussion series include Religious Discrimination, Racism: Then & Now, and Social Media vs. Real Life.

University programs decides which topic is “hot” each month by taking feedback from surveys, social media and students who attend events on topics they would like to talk about, Fowler said.

“After attending the Je suis Charlie event, we hope students learn about the issue itself as well as positive ways to converse with others about the topic,” Fowler said.

Usually, an expert will make a short presentation about the issue and then act as a moderator to help answer students’ questions, as well as guide the conversation during the event. Eleanor Finnegan from the religious studies department will be guiding tonight’s conversation about the recent issues stemming from Je suis Charlie movement.

Students interested in learning more about international events can attend another event series by University Programs, International Expressions. These events focus on a different culture each month.

Compiled by Katie Bedrich

Alabama director of player personnel leaving for South Alabama

Alabama director of player personnel Tyler Siskey is leaving to take the receivers coaching job at South Alabama, BamaOnLine reported on Tuesday.

Siskey was at Alabama for two years. He previously worked at Ole Miss as the coordinator of recruiting development. Siskey spent four seasons at Arkansas State as the wide receivers coach.

Alabama Athletics did not respond at the time of writing.

Compiled by Kelly Ward

Alabama baseball to scrimmage next three weekends in Hoover

Before the start of its 2015 season on Feb. 13, Alabama baseball will scrimmage the next three weekends at the Hoover Metropolitan Season. This weekend, the team will scrimmage on Friday at 4 p.m., Saturday at 1 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. The scrimmages are free and open to the public.

Compiled by Kelly Ward