Knight shows her talent in SEC play

Knight shows her talent in SEC play

Due to this, phone calls began to come in from different colleges around the area. While Knight was in the middle of her volleyball season she had to make one of the most important decisions of her life: where to play basketball in college. Knight narrowed her decision down to Arkansas, Ole Miss, Alabama and Tulane.

Now, Knight is one of the top scorers for the Alabama Crimson Tide. As a freshman, Knight has been an asset off the bench this season contributing 8.5 points per game. She has scored double-figures in each of the last three games. Since SEC play began, her scoring average is a stout 11.2 points per game.

“Well I just had to put it in my mind mentally that in conference I’m going to have to step up on offense and defense,” she said.

Coach Kristy Curry said one of the biggest things Knight has improved is her defense. Knight agreed defense was her biggest adjustment this season. She said defense in high school was not one of her main priorities, because the opposition was not as tough.

“I just love the fact that she is very 
coachable,” Curry said. “She has improved, as much as any player in a freshman season that I’ve been a part of as an assistant or head coach in 20 years.”

Though Knight is playing well, Alabama lost all five conference games so far. The Crimson Tide has not played at home for a full weekend yet in the SEC.

“Well, we are just really looking forward to being home for two games. That’s the first time that has happened in a while. We’ve been on the road for three straight weekends,” Curry said. “Our team has had a chance to grow, and it’s a brand new week. We haven’t had time to feel sorry 
for ourselves.”

Alabama hosts rival Auburn Thursday at 8 p.m. and Vanderbilt Sunday at noon.