Tide hosts Southern Miss

Tide hosts Southern Miss

Freshman Jeff Garrett will be available for selection for the first time since undergoing wisdom teeth removal surgery. Garrett will be the fourth member of Alabama’s highly-rated freshman recruiting class, ranked as high as 21st in the nation, to see playing time. Garrett comes to Alabama after averaging 18.3 points and 10.1 rebounds at Oldsmar Christian School in Florida last season. 247sports ranked Garrett as the 35th-best power forward in the nation, a needed addition to a guard-heavy lineup.

Alabama will likely need sizable contributions from most of its roster when it plays a Golden Eagles team that has finished with at least 25 wins for the past three seasons and posted a 29-7 record 
in 2013-14.

“We’re looking forward to the opportunity to get back on the court tomorrow against Southern Miss,” Alabama coach Anthony Grant said. “You’re talking about a program – really impressed for those group of guys, what they’ve been able to accomplish, a team that I think has averaged 27 wins a season over the last three seasons, consistently competes for championships in their league, a team that’s had great success against SEC opponents. “

The Crimson Tide has struggled in its three-point shooting so far this season, going 2-17 against the Catamounts, but senior guard Levi Randolph said he isn’t worried about his team’s production.

“I don’t think it’s really a concern,” he said. “I think we scored 80 points, so, I mean, points are points. It’s obviously being efficient on offense, whether it comes from the three-point line, the free-throw line or in the paint, we just want to try to put points on the board and do what we have to do defensively.”