Students start animal shirt trend

Students start animal shirt trend

Two University of Alabama sophomores, Mallory Lane and Tessa Albert, co-founded a new tradition on the Alabama campus known as Wildlife Wednesday, where students trade in their normal Wednesday attire for animal T-shirts for the day.

Lane, a sophomore majoring in management information systems, said she agrees the day is a great day to not only break down barriers, but also make new friends. She also said it’s a day to really break out of the rigid college routine and be a little goofy.

“Every Wednesday brings out a silly joyful spirit in everyone who participates,” Mallory Lane said. “It gives me something to look forward to every Wednesday morning and is an instant conversation starter.”

So far over 300 different Wildlife Wednesday T-shirts have been sold and the trend is growing.

Haley Prescott, a junior majoring in psychology, said she wants to get involved with the day.

“I have seen so many different animal shirts lately on campus,” Prescott said. “I particularly love the pug T-shirts, and I definitely want to get more involved in Wildlife Wednesdays here on campus.”

Those interested in purchasing an animal T-shirt for Wildlife Wednesdays can contact Mallory Lane or Tessa Albert via Facebook message, and to learn more about Wildlife Wednesdays, check out their personal tumblr blog, Humans of Wildlife Wednesday UA.

“Absolutely anyone can be involved in this, and it makes me really happy to see so many students already with animal shirts on,” Lane said.