German student discusses culture, food

Twenty-one-year-old Sonia Loewy has lived in Munich, Germany, for almost her entire life. She lived in the Czech Republic for a year and a half before coming to the U.S. and is now a senior at The University of Alabama majoring in international management. Sonia arrived to the U.S. in August and said she is very happy with her move and especially loves the Southern hospitality Alabama has shown her.

Why did you come to America and choose the University?

I loved the people and loved everyone’s attitude. All the people are so relaxed, and there is such a wide variety of people and culture here. I chose Alabama because it was a partner school of The University of Munich, so it was much easier to communicate details and transfer everything that way. I specifically chose Alabama because I had heard of the nice Southern culture, nice weather, and that the people were very nice and fun.

What’s the most different from your home country?

The entire culture is so different. I immediately made friends in like a week, and that doesn’t really happen in Germany. Everyone is just so nice and positive. School is also very different. Classes here are much easier here because the professors actually care. In Germany, education is free so people don’t try as hard. The classes in Germany are also huge. There are never less than 100 people in your class. Everyone talks and doesn’t respect the professor. Here the professors actually care and take several grades, but in Germany you only have one grade, which is the final to determine if you pass the class or not.

What’s the weirdest things Americans do?

The food in the stadium is so strange! The chips with meat are not okay. You can’t eat that! It doesn’t go together. Chips are always a snack food and never a meal. That’s just not a thing in Germany at all.

What is your favorite thing Americans do?

The people are my favorite thing. Everyone is so laid back and very positive. In Germany, people don’t compliment strangers, but even today I had a girl on the bus tell me I looked cute and that’s just so nice to do! The language in general is more positive and happier, and people’s expressions are more pleasant.

How do you feel about football?

I like it! I’ve been to all of the games besides one and I’m excited for the Auburn game here! We don’t have football in Germany, so I didn’t know the rules, but now I kind of get it.