Tide prepares to take on Vols

The two sides will be meeting for the 96th time with a series record of 50-38-7 in Alabama’s favor. Alabama coach Nick Saban said he knows the matchup is a highly anticipated game for both the players and fans.

“Like I’ve said before, when you play in these types of games it’s more about the rivalry than the current record,” Saban said. “I think the game means a lot to a lot of people. One of the things you’ll probably get asked someday down the road is, ‘What was your record when you played against Tennessee?’”

The game, which is dubbed the “Third Saturday in October” but is sometimes played on the fourth Saturday of the month, dates back to the first meeting of the teams in 1901. Alabama has won the last seven meetings between 
the teams.

“Tennessee is a rivalry game for us,” Alabama safety Nick Perry said. “You ask a lot of older people around here and that is the biggest game of the year. You know five or ten years from now people are going to ask me ‘What was your record against Tennessee,’ and hopefully I can say 4-0 or 5-0.”

The game will also be the first game back for center Ryan Kelly, who was injured against Ole Miss. Kelly, who suffered a knee injury, was replaced by freshman Bradley Bozeman.

“It is pretty good to get him back,” Alabama quarterback Blake Sims said. “Bozeman did a good job in the time when Ryan was out. Hopefully when Ryan comes back he’s feeling healthy, and it’ll be good to have him back and get our rhythm in the same way, but if he isn’t ready we have 
confidence in Bozeman.”