Feminist Caucus to discuss LGBTQ concerns

State of the (Queer) Union will address state and national policy issues directly and indirectly affecting the LGBTQ community. Some of the issues are the stigmas associated with HIV/AIDS, sexual and reproductive justice issues and immigration reform.

“This event came about from a sincere need on campus to have a queer positive space for all members of the LGBTQ community to come and discuss the issues that they face,” said Ben Ray, a senior majoring in English and event and programming coordinator for the Feminist Caucus. “This is a celebratory event in which the discussion will be intense but supportive. We hope that everyone that is queer or queer-minded will make sure to come and participate.”

With the recent amendment of The University of Alabama’s non-discrimination policy, which now includes gender identity and gender expression, the issues affecting transgender students at the University will also be discussed. Cassidy Ellis, a first-year graduate student in gender and race studies and president of the Feminist Caucus, said the group strives for inclusion and will be discussing transgender issues on campus and within Alabama and the South.

While the gay rights movement and the LGBTQ community have made progress in their endeavors, Ray said the University still has issues to address.

“In the South particularly, there is an incredible lack of support for LGBTQ communities, in general,” Ray said. “The amount of resources, especially in rural areas, are too far and few between. On campus, we are fortunate enough to have the safe zone program, though my hope is that even it continues to grow and serve the needs of more people. Some schools, however, do have a lot more resources than our school does for LGBTQ communities. I think that this event will help bring some awareness to this.”

The panel of speakers attending the State of the Queer Union will be Jennifer Purvis of gender and race studies, Jason Garvey from the education college, Julie Gafnea with OUTlaw and Samaria Johnson of Alabama Alliance for Sexual and Reproductive Justice.