Downtown cafe focuses on freshness

Amid the constantly changing Tuscaloosa bar and restaurant scene, students may notice the addition of a new down-home, southern-style restaurant called Carmelo Café.

Over the summer break, the restaurant opened for business downtown at 405 23rd Ave. in Temerson Square, the former location of Mexican restaurant La Fiesta Brava.

Jason Williams, general manager and owner, and Billy Kistler, executive chef and owner, were both employees of Milagros before deciding to open their own restaurant in the downtown area.

“We wanted it to be downtown because it’s close to the University and because of all of the new growth in the area,” Kistler said. “You kind of limit yourself if you’re not in a central location. When you’re downtown with other bars and restaurants, it becomes more of a night-out destination.”

Williams chose the name Carmelo Café in reference to the University.

“A Carmelo tomato is a tomato crimson in color, the color of Alabama, and we just put two and two together,” he said.

Carmelo Cafe is open for lunch from 11 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. and for Sunday brunch from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m.

Beginning Aug. 25, Carmelo Café will serve alcohol and be open for dinner.

“Our main clientele is businessmen and businesswomen looking for a quick lunch,” Williams said, though the café should also appeal to students because the menu items are affordable.

“Our average ticket for lunch is right around $8,” Williams said. “I’d say our price range is right around $5 to $10 for lunch.”

Kistler said all the food at Carmelo Café is fresh and he never uses canned food.

“It’s about treating the food with respect instead of just throwing it into a pan with salt and pepper,” he said.

The best thing about Carmelo Cafe’s menu is the style of the food itself – a twist on southern food, Kistler said.

“It’s a chance to actually go out to eat and eat what you want to eat and taste the creativity of a trained chef,” he said.

Nina Hollenbeck, a senior majoring in marine science and biology, said she enjoys working as a server at the restaurant.

“I love our really cool bosses, and I love blues,” Hollenbeck said. “It’s my favorite genre of music, and it plays nonstop. Plus they usually feed me after work so that’s awesome too.”

She said University students will enjoy dining at Carmelo Café.

“It’s great prices, great food and great music,” Hollenbeck said.