Mr. Chen's combines restaurant, market

Mr. Chen's combines restaurant, market

Since opening in 2011, Mr. Chen’s has experienced growing popularity with both locals and foreign costumers in town. Both the restaurant and market, which are adjacent to each other, are located within walking distance from the University of Alabama campus.

“We decided this location was good to open the restaurant because it isn’t too far from the University, the size is ideal and the tenant was very nice and understanding of what we were looking for,” said Thomas Chen, the restaurant’s general manager.

Mr. Chen’s market offers a wide variety of Chinese merchandise including tea, candy, snacks, fruit products and some kitchenware and household appliances. The restaurant features a full menu of Chinese dishes that range from $3 to $12. Authentic 
dishes include dumplings, bubble milk tea, orange chicken, stuffed buns, seafood, beef, pork, tofu, fried rice and noodles. They also offer a special lunch menu daily from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Yunong Song, a senior majoring in communication studies from Beijing, said Mr. Chen’s is the closest thing to authentic Chinese food in town.

“I like the market because it has a wide variety of products and food options from China that you can’t get anywhere else,” Song said. “Every time I go, I usually get sauces for seasoning, instant noodles, dumplings, tofu, vegetables and tea.”

For Tori Colby, a junior majoring in psychology, every visit to Mr. Chen’s is an opportunity to try something new and experience a different culture.

“The market is really interesting to go into because you get to look at all the different stuff that I’m not used to seeing in most American stores,” Colby said.

Chen said the restaurant and market customers represent a good balance between Americans and foreigners. He said many of the store’s 
customers are UA Chinese students.