Scripture should be cited in context

It is important when citing Scripture to contain the entirety of the passage to keep the true meaning visible. It is known that everyone does not, and will never, completely agree on Christ’s teachings; however, in order to be sure confusion does not occur, it is imminent that truth is properly delivered.

The Bible states: “You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination” (Leviticus 18:22, ESV). Notice the verse states ‘it,’ homosexuality itself is an abomination; people who practice homosexuality are not directly condemned. The truth is, if Christians are doing their job, which some are not, this verse will not be used as a 
platform for bullying, 
discrimination and hatred, but instead, it will be used as a way of witness to unbelievers 
in a loving way.

We are called to hold our loved ones accountable for their sins while repenting for our own (Matthew 7:15). Christians are not perfect; we are no better than those who are considered the dirtiest sinners – “for there is no distinction: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood to be received by faith” (Romans 3:22-25, ESV).

Granted, there is a “plethora of sins defined in the Bible,” as Thurston points out. Homosexuality is not a death sentence or the worst sin to ever be. However, according to the Bible, it is a sin.

The reality of Christianity is, sins will be committed until Jesus himself comes back to set up his earthly reign. However, there is beauty in God’s grace of giving his own son, who died to take all the sins of the world as if they never happened. It is up to us to put that faith into Christ and take his gift of grace.

“Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven” (Matthew 12:31, ESV). No one will go unforgiven unless they take God’s rightful glory and give it to his enemy. Christianity is not filled with condemnation, but instead, hope. Our salvation is not based on our own works, but rather, the power of God (Ephesians 2:8-9). That is the reality of Christianity.

Danielle Waddell is a freshman majoring in journalism.