Core offers Mac support, giveaways

Tuscaloosa’s first official Apple store, The Core, opened its doors this past weekend.

The Core offers Mac warranty repairs on computers and notebooks, as well as out-of-warranty service with no appointment required.

Jay Biggs, co-owner of the store and a UA alumnus, is excited about the opportunity to be in Tuscaloosa.

“Tuscaloosa needs an official Apple store that can fix any problem fast,” he said. “Most of the service we offer is within 24 hours, and everyone who touches an Apple product is directly certified by Apple.”

Being an official Apple store means The Core offers expert service on all Apple products and can service most products, except for iPods.

All of the service is done in house by Apple Certified Technicians, a certification that comes directly from Apple. The store therefore works directly with Apple to best serve the customer.

Tyler Barnes, the other owner of the store, said the store’s convenience is unbeatable.

“You don’t have to drive to Birmingham to get your Mac fixed anymore,” he said. “You don’t have to make an appointment or ship your computer away, and you get true experts.”

Continuing until Saturday, The Core is offering student incentives as a part of their Student Week. Each day brings a new deal only available to students in the area. iPod Wednesday offers a free 2 GB iPod Shuffle with purchase of any Apple MacBook Pro and AppleCare. On T-shirt Thursday, anyone wearing a Core shirt receives $10 off any iPhone 3G or 3GS case or $5 off any iPhone 4 case. On Facebook Friday, post a status for the Core, and the most creative will win a $25 gift certificate. The Core will end the week with Crimson Spirit. Walk into the store wearing Alabama gear and get $5 off any iPad or iPhone case.

Jay Biggs takes pride in the expertise he and his employees bring to Tuscaloosa.

“We want students at the University to know that our knowledge of every Apple product is the highest level and leads to more efficient care,” Biggs said. “Customers know when their salesmen are experts, and I think we bring an added comfort to business.” Two of the salesmen working at the store are former employees of the Apple Headquarters in Dallas, Texas.

The Core is located just past the Rice Mine Road exit off McFarland Boulevard. It is open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday and from 1-5 p.m. on Sunday. If Rice Mine Road is inconvenient, both Jay and Tyler are frequently at Tuscom, located on Queen City Ave. Items in need of repair can be dropped off there and fixed within 24 hours.

For more information, go to thecoresite.com.