Tuscaloosa Transit service adds routes

Tuscaloosa Transit service adds routes
Layton Dudley

The Tuscaloosa Transit service will continue to extend its service from the Intermodal Facility, the parking deck located downtown, to various stops around the University of Alabama campus. The city council approved a resolution on Tuesday night authorizing Mayor Walt Maddox to sign a memorandum of agreement between the City and the University.

In the agreement, the University will pay the City $79,543.31 to cover the cost of the bus route to various stops on campus. Students, staff and faculty are able to park at the facility downtown free of charge with a UA Action Card and then ride the bus onto campus. The route is a continued partnership between the Tuscaloosa Transit Service and the Crimson Ride.

Excluding holidays, the bus service runs 30-minute routes Monday through Friday from 5 a.m. to 6 p.m, according to the Crimson Ride website. The route runs along University Boulevard and stops at The University Club, Publix, President’s Mansion, RBC Bank, Arby’s, Rite Aid & Medical Center, DCH, Campus Way Apartments, Recreation Center, Bryce Hospital Entrance and Campus Drive Deck.

Crimson Ride offers alternate routes downtown on the weekend via the Downtown Express. The Downtown express runs from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. Thursday and from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights making stops at Jefferson Avenue, Columbia Drive, Publix, Mellow Mushroom, Walk of Champions and Innisfree.