Artageous Art Tour provides Tuscaloosa monthly dose of culture

A collection of Tuscaloosa art galleries will open their doors Thursday to introduce their August exhibits.

The Artrageous Art Tour will take place from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. and include the Renaissance Gallery, the Kentuck Art Gallery, the Riverport Gallery and the Harrison Galleries in Northport. The tour is a monthly event that allows the community to experience many varieties of art.

The tour will start at the Harrison Galleries on University Boulevard, passing the Tuscaloosa Art Council on Greensboro, and will settle with a handful of galleries in historic downtown Northport.

Jim Harrison is the owner of the Harrison Galleries. These galleries feature paintings and photography from the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. They host numerous events each year, but Jim especially appreciates the monthly tour.

“The Artrageous Riverfront Art Tour started with Kentuck and provides a regular cultural event to look forward to,” he said. “The idea was to include both sides of the river and attract more of the community.”

When talking about art night, the story begins with the Kentuck Art Center. This Thursday marks the opening of a new exhibit which highlights Inspiration/Transformation: 14 Photographers Respond to Ma’Cille’s Museum of Miscellanea.

Ma’Cille built her own museum from scratch, and these photographers captured the uniqueness of the museum. To go along with the exhibit, the Kentuck shop will sell locally made jewelry for up to 60 percent off. Ham Bagby will be playing on Art Night to accompany the exhibits.

Program director Valerie Piette takes pride in the Kentuck Art Center and its effect on the community.

“What I like the most about Kentuck is everything in the shop and in the exhibits is handmade by local artists, using local materials,” she said.

Most of the galleries have a professional focus and exhibit experienced artists, but the Riverport Gallery is more unique. Jean Ignat has been teaching painting and sculpting classes in Northport for 10 years, and she takes pride in building artists.

“Most of my students are homeschooled, and [the Artrageous Tour] gives these young men and women a chance to be a part of the art culture here in Tuscaloosa,” Ignat said. “The galleries have been doing this for years, and I love sharing an evening with the public.”

Ignat takes kids as young as nine, and they practice their passion together.

Kevin Ledgewood, the public relations director for the Arts and Humanities Council of Tuscaloosa County, is very familiar with the tour.

“I like that idea of such a variety of art displayed in one place for the public because local art appeals to college students, not just working class adults,” Ledgewood said. “The tour gives off a ‘community’ feel and brings together people who love art.”