Businesses launch at The Edge

“The University’s role [in getting involved with The Edge] is giving students a unique learning experience by connecting them with businesses and solving real world business problems,”said Mary Patterson, director of the Alabama Entrepreneurial Research Network.

About half of the businesses residing in The Edge are owned and operated by UA students. The Edge caters to businesses that started less than two years ago. They provide business seminars and funding connections, which Patterson said is a main problem for businesses.

“The first thing we would do for a business is have a conference and develop a business plan,” Patterson said. “Then, connect to resources to get research about competition and do a [Strength, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats] analysis to see if it’s a viable business idea.”

The Edge provides incubation space, an affordable office space with available audiovisual equipment and administrative support.

John Oberkor, founder of Forza Financial and UA MBA student, was one of the first tenants in the incubation space.

“[The incubation space] helps you operate your business until it is ready to expand further,” Oberkor said.

Dean of Culverhouse College of Commerce Michael Hardin, who spearheaded The Edge, said he also wanted to broaden its reach beyond that of students.

“I want [The Edge] to not be solely about the students. I want the city of Tuscaloosa and all of West Alabama to be involved as well,” Hardin said.