Severe weather predicted for Tuscaloosa, safety precautions recommended

The National Weather Service is predicting a threat of severe weather across areas of central Alabama, including The University of Alabama. The weather is expected to begin around late Tuesday afternoon.

Students should identify safe areas to take cover in the event the weather changes rapidly. Students on campus can find a complete list of safe areas here:

http://prepare.ua.edu/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/BARA-Locations-2014-04-09-BARA-Locations.pdf

Students off campus should remember to get to the lowest floor possible. Take cover in a room without windows, near the center of the building, and away from an outside wall. Take cover under a desk or table, or bring a pillow or blankets to cover your head.

Severe weather can often lead to power outages. Outages may last anywhere from a few hours to several days. Designate a place to keep a flashlight or download a flashlight app and remember to keep cell phones and other electronic devices charged so that you are able to use them in the event of a power outage.

In the event of flash flooding, water on the roads near riverbanks and bridges can often be deeper than expected or rise quickly. In the event you get stuck in rising water, abandon your car immediately and seek higher ground.

The University of Alabama’s emergency preparedness group is currently monitoring the weather conditions. Pay attentions to emails, texts, and calls from the University for updates on weather conditions and the status of final exams. Updates will also be available on local TV and radio stations, as well as the UA website.