Alabama baseball struggle midweek

The No. 8 Alabama baseball team was upset by Southern Miss 6-3 Tuesday night. The Crimson Tide dropped to 28-13 with the loss.

“Well, I thought just overall it was a poor performance by us. I thought our energy level was low tonight,” coach Mitch Gaspard said.

Southern Miss struck first in the game. In the top of the fourth inning, junior Mason Robbins had a two-out RBI single. In the sixth, Robbins hit an RBI single to make it 2-0. The Golden Eagles added two more runs in the sixth to take a 4-0 lead.

The Crimson Tide had its leadoff man reach base the first five innings and outhit the Golden Eagles 9-8.

(See also “Baseball team looks to continue recent success“)

“You can’t turn the switch on in the middle part of the game or the late part of the game,” Gaspard said. “You have to come out, pitch one of the game and set the tempo and set how you want to play the game, and we certainly did not do that tonight.”

Alabama finally got on the scoreboard in the sixth inning. Junior Ben Moore had a one-out double and advanced to third on a wild pitch. Sophomore Kyle Overstreet brought Moore in with a sacrifice fly to make the score 4-1.

(See also “Overstreet racks up honors, awards in first year“)

After a two-run blast in the eighth, Robbins finished 4-4 with four RBIs.

“We set a bad tone on the mound,” Gaspard said. “We stayed behind in the count too often. They finally took advantage of [that] in the sixth inning, and Robbins had a heck of a night for them.”

In the ninth, Alabama started to make a rally. Sophomore Chance Vincent started the inning with a leadoff double. Sophomore Mikey White then drove him in with an RBI single with one out to make it 6-2. With two outs, Moore tripled to right field and scored White for Alabama’s last run in the 6-3 loss.

(See also “Alabama baseball team hits with more power“)

“Tonight, too little too late,” Moore said.

The Crimson Tide, now in first place in the SEC, will return to conference play Friday for a weekend series with No.11 South Carolina.