SGA now accepting director applications

The University of Alabama Student Government Association is now accepting director and standing committee applications.

There are currently more than 80 director positions available to students. Positions range from director of Bama Cash and Dining Dollars to associate executive vice president. Each director position falls under a member of the executive branch. Executive members select the directors they feel would best serve their office, and during final selections, the SGA executive team will vote on the appointments.

(See also “SGA offers new integration resolution“)

“SGA directors are really the backbone of the SGA,” Stephen Keller, vice president for student affairs, said. “We have a number of projects and initiatives that the SGA undertakes, and it’s the directors that make them happen.”

Director positions are a great way for students to get involved with the SGA and campus officials, Keller said. They are a way for students to become exposed to new opportunities and try new things.

“They’ll work directly with SGA members, other faculty, staff, administrators and me in order to put together programs that directly benefit students,” Keller said.

(See also “SGA executive officers inaugurated for 2014-15“)

When applying, students can select up to three positions in one office that they are interested in.

“Students from all corners of campus can apply for a position,” Mackenzie Brown, director of media relations for the SGA, said. “We are looking for a diverse group of students that represent every part of the student body.”

Brown said serving as a director is a great starting point for SGA involvement. For example, he said, Polly Ricketts, the current SGA executive secretary, previously served as associate executive vice president.

Standing committee applications and selections fall under the office of academic affairs. Standing committees provide an opportunity for students to work together with University officials, like President Judy Bonner, people in the community and other organizations on campus. Standing committees exist for multiple areas of campus, including awards, the campus master plan, University recreation, core curriculum oversight and information technology, among others.

(See also “Bloom elected SGA president“)

“I think [standing committees] are kind of an undiscovered gem,” Mary Wills, chief of staff, said.

Wills said she strongly encourages anyone who is interested to apply for a committee.

“Not a lot of people apply for [standing committee positions],” Wills said. “So we are kind of doing a push for that.”

Wills said the turnout for director applications so far has been good, but the executive board still wants to encourage people to apply.

Applications for both standing committee and director positions can be found online at sga.ua.edu. The application is online and consists of only personal information and a few short-answer questions about why the applicant is seeking a specific position. Applications will close Sunday at noon.

After the close of applications, the selection process will take a few weeks. Interviews, conducted by members of the executive council, will be held for selected candidates between April 16-18. Selected directors and standing committee members will be informed of their selections the following week.