Ferg adds new student organization space

The Student Organization Resource Center for Extracurriculars, an organization that lends support to registered student organizations, now has an office in the Ferguson Center, and a ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held August 24, Coordinator of Student Involvement and Leadership Alex Karagas said.

After more than 10 years of helping campus organizations via the Internet, Karagas said, the SOURCE will occupy a space between the Jones Center and the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership on the third floor of the Ferg.

Upon realizing that leaders of student organizations were funding their own office supplies, Kargas said, members of the SOURCE decided it was time to move forward with construction of a physical space, which began February 15.

“We realized after talking with students that a lot of them have started to go outside of the University to get university work done,” he said. Construction of a physical space is not a new idea, though.

“The SOURCE is 10 years old,” Karagas said. “The idea for this physical space has been in the plan from the beginning.”

The space will offer laptop rentals, copy and fax machines, printers and event supplies, as well as a conference space furnished with a flat screen TV.

With more than 300 student organizations on campus, visions, goals and ideas are already formed, SOURCE officer Fernanda Lima said, but the SOURCE’s space will be the catalyst for action.

“By equipping the needs of each and every student organization, the SOURCE space will empower organizations to accomplish anything and everything they wish to pursue,” Lima said.

In addition to offering office supplies and space for student organizations, the SOURCE’s office will play a crucial role in attracting attention for student organizations, Melissa Smith, a sophomore majoring in telecommunications and film, said.

“It will be a great environment for students to not only develop their own clubs but to learn about other clubs as well,” she said.

Students may contact the SOURCE by visiting the Ferg or by going to the Campus Life tab of MyBama.