Juice cleanses do not yield any lasting benefits, effects

We are almost two weeks into March, which means spring break is not too far away. Many students are now on health crazes, such as going to the gym more frequently and eating less junk food. However, some students are taking a more drastic approach to lose weight in a short amount of time.

Juice cleanses have been on the rise, but they are also extremely controversial. Some say the juice cleanses are good for the body’s organs because it flushes away toxins. Others claim the cleanses just lead to yo-yo dieting and even more unwanted weight gain. Juice cleanses are not sufficient for losing weight because they starve your body by eliminating food and lead to unnecessary problems, such as a change in metabolism.

Juice cleanses do detox the system in a number of ways, but they do not necessarily help you become healthier on a daily basis. Many cleanses are filled with juices that are not enjoyable and instead can make you ill with over-consumption. Another reason juice cleanses are not ideal is because many of the packaged juices on different plans are loaded with added and processed ingredients. Some of these processed ingredients can lead to weight gain over time. Many symptoms of starting a completely new diet often lead to unwanted issues in the digestive system and gastrointestinal tract.

Alternatively, the best way to get in shape for spring break is to be smart and make small changes. Juicing is a very drastic way of losing weight, and many think they have to change everything about their lifestyle to become healthy fast. Small changes such as working out four to five times a week, drinking more water and eating more fruits and vegetables will help you get on the right track to a healthy body in no time. Both healthy eating and working out come hand in hand when trying to become healthy in a rush. Never underestimate the power of simple changes. Simple changes in lifestyle are better in the long run than rushing to a juice cleanse that will leave fewer benefits.